Those who graduated from MHS in 2004 to current year that are applying to a North Carolina Public College/ University or Community College  please use the following directions to have your transcript sent to your school. Transcripts will not be mailed they must go through the website. 

If you need assistance please contact Jessica Everett at 252-473-5841 ext 1009. 

If you are going to a North Carolina Private College/ University or an Out of State College or University please follow the below instructions. 

Please send requests for Official Transcripts to Jessica Everett at or fax  request to 252-473-2049.

Include the following information:
  • Student's First & Last Name
  • Students Date of Birth (month, day, & year)
  • Student's year of graduation
  • A contact number with area code (should additional information be needed)
  • Name and Address of where transcript should be sent

Request will be processed within 48hours. Unofficial Transcripts can be faxed upon request.

Please contact Jessica Everett, Counseling Center Assistant for additional assistance.

NEW!!  CFNC e-transcripts – Cancel Request option

We’ve add a new feature in the Application Hub.  It allows currently enrolled PUBLIC high school students to cancel any Final PENDING e-transcript requests up to 2 days prior to the scheduled release date.  The release date is set to PowerSchool’s last day of school + 10 days.  Students will now see a Cancel Request column in the App Hub.  The button to cancel the request will appear and allow them to cancel the request at any time up to 2 days prior to the release date (see screenshot below).  When the system date is within 2 days of the transcript release date, the Cancel button will not appear.  Please share with your students…I’m sure they have no idea this is NOW an option!  It will help cut down dramatically on the transcript server’s load come June…..not to mention, relieve the load at colleges and universities from receiving unnecessary transcripts!


If students do not cancel the final pending request within 2 days prior to the scheduled release date (which is typically in June), then they will not be able to cancel it and the system will process it normally and deliver it to the requested college/university.


If students cancel it in error, they will need to make another e-transcript request so that the final e-transcript request will be created again.