(RDS) Residency Determination Services
The state of North Carolina will partially subsidize the cost of NC public college and university tuition for students that are residents of the state. It requires a minimum of twelve months of uninterrupted legal residence in North Carolina to be eligible for in-state tuition. When applying for an in-state college, all seniors will be required to complete the RDS to finalize their application to college.
ALL STUDENTS ATTENDING A NORTH CAROLINA SCHOOL ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE RDS REGARDLESS OF RESIDENCE STATUS.
Information you may need to complete RDS
This listing is not all-inclusive nor will every applicant be required to submit the information:
- Social Security Number, Tax ID number, alien registration number, or US Citizenship and Immigration Service number.
- Parent and/or student vehicle registration and driver's license
- Parent and/or student federal and state tax returns
- Rental/lease agreement
- Active Duty Military Leave and Earning Statement (LES)
- DD-214 for discharge veterans
- Marriage certificate
- Permanent Resident Card
If you do not have any of this information, please contact your school counselor to discuss options.
Additional Contact Information for RDS:
Toll Free 1-844-319-3640
Email firstname.lastname@example.org Websites www.cfnc.org www.ncresidency.org